Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Inspiration, Lack Of

I'm not feeling terribly inspired today...Wednesdays are my long day at work.  By long, I mean long with the public.  I am a children's librarian at a suburban library and on Wednesdays I do two storytimes for toddlers, which takes me from 10 am - 11:30 am.  I have a half hour to clean up, do stats, help parents after storytime, etc.  Then I'm on lunch from 12-1, followed by an afternoon on the public information desk....from 1-5:30.  4.5 hours is a long stretch of time to be on the public desk.  We tend to be quite busy after school.  Actually about the time I'm writing this post.  Take that, teenagers! Kidding, kidding...I'm still helping them.

Today is especially special.  For some reason the babies yesterday and the toddlers today were all acting crazy like, running around, chasing, hugging, pushing, running, screaming, running....it was non-stop during storytime.  I finally just gave up trying to exert control. I figured if the parents didn't care, then I wouldn't either. Sometimes we just have to drop the pretense of reading and just sing and dance.

So, as I'm sitting at the desk waiting for a question, my mind tends to wander to all the things I have to do, the projects I'm in the middle of.  Let's list them.  Because I love lists.

Special Projects
  1. Painting trim on second floor (I have the paint, just need to do the work)
  2. Put in base boards and crown molding on second floor (I have neither sets of molding or measurements ready)
  3. Fixing the grass
  4. Planting bushes
  5. Painting outer doors (need to pick paint color still - Dark blue is winning, although I had a suggestion for bright yellow...)
  6. Cleaning out and organizing garage
Ongoing Lists
  1. Spring cleaning list *puke*
  2. Mowing lawn
  3. Laundry
  4. Sweep and Vacumn (man, the cat hair has exploded)
I wonder if I'm missing anything important....

I look at my lists and feel pretty overwhelmed by them, but I know everything doesn't have to be done at once and that I just need to take it one at at time.  On top of my home improvement projects, I've got softball starting on Tuesday, a trip to ATL to see my little monkey (and Joseph and TJ too), two weddings in Wisconsin (deep, deep into Wisco), a friend coming to visit in June or July, another friend coming in August (yea!)....I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

What kinds of lists do you have?  Weekly? Honey-Do? 5 year plans? Any favorite movie quotes?

1 comment:

  1. Love the Princess Bride reference.

    My lists are all "stuff I needed to have done two weeks ago".

    ReplyDelete